Since this week was boy’s week at Project Run and Play I decided not to participate. I have so many Bean-related sewing items on my list that I didn’t want to take the time out to make something off-list.
I did sew a lot this week, however. And actually, I sewed part of a quilt I’m making for a friend who is having a boy so maybe that counts a little, hehe.
Anyway, I’ve been meaning to try this pattern for some time (Simplicity 5118):
It’s the first time that I’ve used a commercial pattern for Bean, so I’ve been putting it off. Of course, I changed a lot about the pattern, but it’s a cute neckline that I’d definitely use again. I imagine I’ll make a few of the sleeveless tops next summer.
Anyway, I made the A-ish style with the following changes:
No lace or ribbon at the neckline
No gathered flounce at the hemline
Added piping along the line where the front top meets the front bottom
Made the bodice fully lined so the seams from the sleeves and piping are not exposed
Used the lining to encase the neck elastic instead of a turned over hem
Used 1/2 inch instead of 1/4 inch for the sleeve elastic for more dramatic gather
I’ve had this great bunny fabric for about two months now and I’ve been dying to use it. I actually thought I’d use it in the quilt I mentioned above, but it ended up a little too cream colored to match with the whites of the other prints I was using. I kind of secretly wanted it for a fall Bean dress anyway, hehe.
Paired with a deep red quilting solid, it makes the perfect October dress. I also have some cream colored knit that I’m going to make a turtle neck out of which will look cute under this as the days get cooler.
Overall it was fun making this dress. I cut out size 2 for Bean which is a bit big. She’s a size 18months in most baby clothes, but I wasn’t sure how that would translate to a commercial size. Size 2 had the closest measurements to match so I took a gamble. I actually cut the size 1 length and looking back I probably should have left that alone. I wanted to get as much use of the fabric as possible, hehe. And I think paired with a jegging this would be cute as a top if it gets too short too fast.
So no Project Run and Play this past week, but I still was able to check a dress off of Bean’s fall list.
Project Run and Play’s theme this coming week is costume so on top of making Bean’s Halloween costume I’m also going to try to sew a little each day on something else for her. That’s because next week is the Kids Clothes Week Challenge at Elsie Marley and I’m excited about participating. It’ll be a “challenge” for sure getting all that done. We’ll see how it goes, hehe.