I decided to post some pictures of Bean’s octopus costume from last year. The outer costume still fits her well, but the jumpsuit she wore at 5 months old doesn’t work this year, hehe. So I just took the Chevron Fleecie I made her last spring (which fits perfectly now) and sewed some eyes on the hood which worked like a charm.
Just to see the comparison, the following is a picture of the jumpsuit I made for Bean to wear under the costume last year.
In order to make the octopus outer portion, I made six tentacles and attached them to a bib/vest which then could go over the jumpsuit. I used a similar method to make the turtle costume this year. All of the fabric for the jumpsuit and the outer portion is this great blue knit that I had found which is soft and comfy.
The tentacles were made by sewing “tentacle shaped” pieces together with right sides facing, turning to right sides, and then stuffing. I also used some thick floral wire wrapped with stuffing and painters tape to allow for a little bit of bending. These were put into the center stuffing of the tentacles while stuffing – making sure none of the wire portions could poke through.
Each of the tentacles was sewn closed at the top and then sewn onto the upper bib portion. Then I hand sewed circles of felt to the tentacles to look like the suction things. I only made six tentacles since I sewed some felt circles onto Bean’s jumpsuit legs and socks as well, making up the final two “tentacles.”
This worked out well for a baby costume. She was fascinated by the tentacles, hehe. The best was when she wore it in her stroller: